"10 Things I Hate About You" isn't just another teen movie; it's a reimagining of Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew" set in a 1990s American high school. Released in 1999, the film features stellar performances by Julia Stiles, Heath Ledger, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Larisa Oleynik, among others. Directed by Gil Junger and written by Karen McCullah Lutz and Kirsten Smith, the movie provides a timeless blend of comedy, drama, and romance that continues to captivate audiences more than two decades after its initial release.
The Story and Characters
The film revolves around the Stratford sisters—Bianca (Larisa Oleynik), the popular and pretty younger sister, and Kat (Julia Stiles), her abrasive and fiercely independent older sibling. A complex web of relationships ensues when Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), a new student at Padua High, falls for Bianca but learns he can't date her unless Kat finds a boyfriend too. Enter Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger), the mysterious and rebellious bad boy hired to woo Kat. What starts as a simple plan quickly evolves into something more complex, heartfelt, and genuine.
Themes and Impact
"10 Things I Hate About You" is a multi-layered film that tackles issues such as individuality, gender roles, teenage angst, and the complexity of love and relationships. It provides a fresh take on the coming-of-age genre, setting itself apart with sharp dialogue, complex characters, and emotional depth.
It remains memorable for many reasons: Ledger's charming rendition of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You," Stiles' emotionally charged recitation of her "10 things" poem, and the consistent use of humor and drama to create a compelling narrative. The movie proves that even stories hundreds of years old can be made relevant and relatable when adapted with care, intelligence, and heart.
Where to Watch "10 Things I Hate About You"
There are currently no streaming offers in the US.
- Streaming: The movie is available for streaming on Hoopla.
- Buy: For those interested in owning a copy, the film can be purchased on platforms such as Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Vudu, and Microsoft Store.
There are currently no streaming offers in the AU.
- Streaming: Unfortunately, the movie is not available for streaming in Australia.
- Buy: You can buy the movie from Fetch TV and Quickflix Store.
There are currently no streaming offers in the GB.
- Streaming: Currently, the movie is not available for streaming in the UK.
- Buy: You can buy it from Apple TV.
There are currently no streaming offers in the DE.
- Streaming: The film is available for streaming on MagentaTV, Joyn Plus, and Arthouse CNMA Amazon Channel.
- Buy: Various platforms offer the movie for purchase, including Apple TV, Amazon Video, Rakuten TV, maxdome Store, Videobuster, and MagentaTV.
There are currently no streaming offers in the ES.
- Streaming: You can stream the movie on Movistar Plus.
- Buy: Purchase options include Rakuten TV, Google Play Movies, and Amazon Video.
There are currently no streaming offers in the FR.
- Streaming: The movie is not available for streaming in France.
- Buy: It is available for purchase on Canal VOD and Amazon Video.
There are currently no streaming offers in the CA.
- Streaming: Like in the U.S., the film is available for streaming on Hoopla.
- Buy: You can buy the film from platforms like Apple TV, Microsoft Store, and Amazon Video.
"10 Things I Hate About You" continues to resonate with audiences, both young and old. The film has garnered a cult following and has been referenced and parodied in various media. Its balance of wit, romance, and social commentary has kept it fresh and relevant in the pop culture landscape. Its soundtrack, featuring songs from artists like Letters to Cleo and Save Ferris, also adds to its lasting appeal.
Over two decades have passed since "10 Things I Hate About You" first graced the big screen, but its charm and relevance remain undiminished. Whether you're a teenager experiencing it for the first time or an adult revisiting this classic, the movie provides a perfect blend of laughter and life lessons. With its availability on multiple platforms across different countries, now is as good a time as any to either revisit this classic or discover its magic for the first time. Don't miss the chance to experience this unforgettable film.