"Enchanted" is a delightful blend of traditional animation and live-action, offering a fresh take on the classic fairy tale narrative. The story begins in the animated world of Andalasia, where the beautiful Princess Giselle is preparing to marry Prince Edward.
However, Edward's wicked stepmother, Queen Narissa, fearing the loss of her throne, pushes Giselle into a well that transports her to the bustling streets of modern-day New York City.
Now in a live-action world and far from her fairy tale kingdom, Giselle struggles to navigate the complexities of city life, all while being pursued by Edward, Narissa, and her own feelings for a cynical divorce lawyer named Robert. The film playfully deconstructs fairy tale tropes, juxtaposing them against the backdrop of a contemporary urban setting.
Cast and Crew
- Main Cast
- Amy Adams as Giselle: A naive princess from Andalasia who finds herself in New York City.
- Patrick Dempsey as Robert Philip: A pragmatic divorce lawyer who assists Giselle in the real world.
- James Marsden as Prince Edward: The charming yet clueless prince from Andalasia searching for Giselle.
- Susan Sarandon as Queen Narissa: The malevolent stepmother determined to keep Giselle from her happily ever after.
- Timothy Spall as Nathaniel: Narissa's loyal henchman who is sent to ensure Giselle doesn't return.
- Director: Kevin Lima
- Writers: Bill Kelly (story and screenplay)
Where to Stream
Here are all the details that you'll need to easily find streaming details of this movie in your country.
There are currently no streaming offers in the US.
There are currently no streaming offers in the AU.
There are currently no streaming offers in the GB.
There are currently no streaming offers in the CA.
There are currently no streaming offers in the DE.
There are currently no streaming offers in the ES.
There are currently no streaming offers in the FR.
There are currently no streaming offers in the BR.
- Production Company: Walt Disney Pictures in association with Sonnenfeld Josephson Worldwide Entertainment.
- Filming Locations: Primarily set in New York City, the film showcases iconic locations such as Central Park, Times Square, and the Bow Bridge. The animated sequences, representing the fairy tale world of Andalasia, were crafted by Disney's traditional animation team.
- Budget and Box Office: "Enchanted" was produced on a budget of approximately $85 million. It was a commercial success, grossing over $340 million worldwide. The film's unique blend of animation and live-action, combined with its catchy musical numbers, made it a favorite among audiences of all ages.
- Critical Reception: "Enchanted" was widely praised by critics for its innovative approach to the fairy tale genre. Amy Adams, in particular, received acclaim for her portrayal of Giselle, with many noting her ability to seamlessly transition between the animated and real-world segments of the film. The movie's self-aware humor, which poked fun at Disney's own legacy of fairy tales, was also highlighted as a standout feature.
- Audience Reception: The film resonated with audiences both young and old. Its clever blend of satire and homage to classic Disney films made it a hit among both children and adults. The musical numbers, especially "That's How You Know," became instant classics and further elevated the film's appeal.
- Awards and Nominations: "Enchanted" received several award nominations, most notably at the Academy Awards. It was nominated for three Best Original Song Oscars for "Happy Working Song," "That's How You Know," and "So Close." While it didn't secure a win in these categories, the nominations underscored the film's impact in the realm of musical cinema.
"Enchanted" stands as a testament to Disney's ability to reinvent its own narrative style, offering audiences a fresh, modern take on the fairy tales that have defined the studio for decades. Through its charming characters, memorable songs, and clever juxtaposition of animation and live-action, the film remains a beloved classic in the Disney canon.