"Legally Blonde" is a vibrant and empowering comedy film that challenges stereotypes and celebrates the power of determination and self-belief. Released on July 13, 2001, this iconic movie was directed by Robert Luketic.
Elle Woods, played by Reese Witherspoon, is a bubbly and fashion-savvy sorority president who seems to have it all. However, when her boyfriend, Warner Huntington III, dumps her for not being "serious" enough, she's determined to win him back.
Elle decides to follow him to Harvard Law School. Despite facing skepticism and ridicule due to her unconventional background and style, Elle proves that being true to oneself can lead to success in the most unexpected ways.
Significance, Themes, and Why You Should Watch:
"Legally Blonde" is not just a comedy; it's a story of resilience, self-discovery, and challenging societal expectations. The film cleverly addresses issues of prejudice and stereotyping, showing that appearances can be deceiving. Elle's journey from a seemingly superficial sorority girl to a confident and competent law student is both entertaining and inspiring. The film's message that one should never underestimate another based on looks or preconceived notions is timeless.
Where to Stream
United States (US)
There are currently no streaming offers in the US.
- Streaming Options: Hulu, DIRECTV
- Buy Options: Apple TV, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Vudu, Microsoft Store, Redbox, DIRECTV, AMC on Demand, Spectrum On Demand
There are currently no streaming offers in the AU.
- Streaming Options: BINGE, Paramount Plus, Paramount+ Amazon Channel, Foxtel Now, Paramount Plus Apple TV Channel
- Buy Options: Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, Microsoft Store, YouTube, Telstra TV, Fetch TV
Great Britain (GB)
- Streaming Options: None
There are currently no streaming offers in the GB.
- Buy Options: Amazon Video, Apple TV, Google Play Movies, Sky Store, Microsoft Store, YouTube, Rakuten TV
There are currently no streaming offers in the DE.
- Streaming Options: WOW, Sky Go
- Buy Options: Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Sky Store, Rakuten TV, maxdome Store, MagentaTV, Microsoft Store
There are currently no streaming offers in the BR.
- Streaming Options: HBO Max, Oi Play
- Buy Options: Apple TV, Google Play Movies, Amazon Video
There are currently no streaming offers in the ES.
- Streaming Options: HBO Max, Movistar Plus
- Buy Options: Apple TV, Rakuten TV, Google Play Movies, Amazon Video, Chili
There are currently no streaming offers in the FR.
- Streaming Options: Amazon Prime Video
- Buy Options: Apple TV, Google Play Movies, Orange VOD, Microsoft Store, YouTube, FILMO, Rakuten TV, Universcine, Amazon Video, Bbox VOD
There are currently no streaming offers in the CA.
- Streaming Options: None
- Buy Options: Apple TV, Google Play Movies, Cineplex, Microsoft Store, YouTube, Amazon Video
- Director: Robert Luketic
- Producers: Marc Platt and Ric Kidney
- Screenplay Writers: Karen McCullah Lutz and Kirsten Smith, adapted from Amanda Brown's novel.
The film was shot at various locations, including the University of Southern California, which stood in for Harvard. With a modest budget of $18 million, "Legally Blonde" was a box office success, grossing over $141 million worldwide.
Reception and Awards:
- Critical Reception: Critics praised Witherspoon's performance, with many noting her perfect fit for the role of Elle Woods. The film's humor and heart also received positive remarks.
- Audience Reception: The movie quickly became a fan favorite, especially among young women, for its positive portrayal of female empowerment.
- Awards and Nominations: Reese Witherspoon received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy.
Trivia and Fun Facts:
- The "bend and snap" scene, which became one of the film's most iconic moments, was almost cut from the movie.
- Reese Witherspoon kept all of Elle's 60 outfits from the film.
- The movie's success led to a sequel, "Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde," and even a hit musical adaptation.
- The dog "Bruiser," Elle's beloved Chihuahua, was played by a canine actor named Moonie.
In essence, "Legally Blonde" is a delightful film that combines humor, romance, and a powerful message about self-worth and determination. It remains a beloved classic, inspiring viewers to believe in themselves and challenge societal norms.