In the world of psychological horror films, "Oculus" stands out as a unique experience. Directed by Mike Flanagan, the movie was released in 2013 and revolves around a haunted mirror known as the Lasser Glass. Two siblings, Tim and Kaylie, attempt to document and prove that this antique mirror is the cause of the tragic events that have unfolded in their family. The film is praised for its mind-bending narrative, realistic performances, and eerie atmosphere. But where can you watch this intriguing horror drama? This guide will take you through the various platforms where "Oculus" is available, depending on your geographical location.
Plot and Critical Reception
The movie delves into the lives of Tim and Kaylie as they reunite after Tim's release from a mental institution. Kaylie is obsessed with proving that a cursed mirror in their childhood home is responsible for the destruction of their family. Using cameras and timers, they prepare to document its powers. What ensues is a spine-chilling journey that blurs the lines between reality and perception.
"Oculus" received critical acclaim upon its release, earning a 75% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The film was lauded for its unique storytelling structure, excellent performances, and unsettling atmosphere. It won numerous awards and nominations and grossed $44 million worldwide against its $5 million budget, making it a commercial success as well.
One of the standout elements of "Oculus" is its focus on psychological horror over cheap jump scares. The film plays with the viewer's perception, reflecting the characters' deteriorating grip on reality. It delves into themes of familial tragedy, the reliability of memory, and the destructive potential of objects that hold sentimental value.
Where to Watch "Oculus"
There are currently no streaming offers in the US.
- Buy: The film is available for purchase on platforms like Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Vudu, Microsoft Store, Redbox, and AMC on Demand.
There are currently no streaming offers in the AU.
- Buy: You can buy it from Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, Microsoft Store, YouTube, and Fetch TV.
There are currently no streaming offers in the GB.
- Buy: The movie is available on Amazon Video, Apple TV, Google Play Movies, Sky Store, Microsoft Store, YouTube, and Rakuten TV.
There are currently no streaming offers in the DE.
- Stream: Available on Home of Horror and Home of Horror Amazon Channel.
- Buy: You can buy it on Apple TV, Amazon Video, Sky Store, maxdome Store, Videobuster, MagentaTV, Microsoft Store, Google Play Movies, and YouTube.
There are currently no streaming offers in the BR.
- Buy: Available on Apple TV, Google Play Movies, and Microsoft Store.
There are currently no streaming offers in the ES.
- Stream: You can stream it on Filmin and Acontra Plus, including Acontra Plus Amazon Channel.
- Buy: Apple TV, Rakuten TV, Google Play Movies, Amazon Video, and Acontra Plus.
There are currently no streaming offers in the FR.
- Stream: Available on Canal+ and Shadowz, including the Shadowz Amazon Channel.
- Buy: Apple TV is the only buy option here.
There are currently no streaming offers in the CA.
- Buy: The film can be bought from Apple TV, Google Play Movies, Cineplex, YouTube, and Amazon Video.
"Oculus" is a film that challenges your understanding of reality, fear, and the human psyche. Its complex narrative, compelling characters, and eerie atmosphere make it a must-watch for fans of psychological horror. While it may not be widely available for streaming, its wide array of purchase options makes it accessible to a broad audience. The film has had a lasting impact on the genre and continues to be a topic of discussion in film circles and beyond. With numerous platforms offering the film for purchase, you can easily watch "Oculus" and experience its mind-twisting tale.