"Racing with the Moon" is a poignant coming-of-age drama set against the backdrop of World War II. The film beautifully captures the essence of youth, love, and the looming uncertainties of war.
The story revolves around two best friends, Henry 'Hopper' Nash and Nicky, as they savor their last weeks before being shipped off to fight in the war. Amidst the challenges of growing up, the duo also navigates the complexities of love and relationships.
Henry and Nicky are two young men from a small town, preparing to be shipped overseas to combat zones during World War II. While they await their deployment, they enjoy their last days of freedom.
Henry falls for a new girl in town, Caddie Winger, while Nicky pursues a debt he owes. As the days draw closer to their departure, the boys grapple with the realities of war and the impact it will have on their futures and relationships.
- Release Date: March 23, 1984
- Duration: 108 minutes
- Rating: PG
- Country of Origin: United States
Cast & Crew
- Main Cast:
- Sean Penn as Henry 'Hopper' Nash
- Nicolas Cage as Nicky
- Elizabeth McGovern as Caddie Winger
- Supporting Cast:
- John Karlen as Mr. Nash
- Rutanya Alda as Mrs. Nash
- Max Showalter as Mr. Arthur, the Piano Player
- Director: Richard Benjamin
- Producers: Alain Bernheim and John Kohn
- Writers: Steve Kloves
Where to Watch
United States (US)
There are currently no streaming offers in the US.
Stream: Movie lovers in the US can stream the film on Amazon Prime Video, fuboTV, MGM Plus Amazon Channel, Paramount Plus, Paramount Plus Apple TV Channel, Paramount+ Amazon Channel, Paramount+ Roku Premium Channel, and MGM Plus.
Buy/Rent: For those looking to purchase or rent, options include Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Vudu, Microsoft Store, and Redbox.
There are currently no streaming offers in the AU.
Stream: Currently, there are no streaming options available in Australia.
Buy/Rent: Aussies can purchase or rent the movie on platforms such as Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, and YouTube.
United Kingdom (GB)
There are currently no streaming offers in the GB.
Stream: Currently, there are no streaming options available in the UK.
Buy/Rent: Brits can purchase or rent the film on Amazon Video, Apple TV, Google Play Movies, Sky Store, and YouTube.
There are currently no streaming offers in the DE.
Stream: Currently, there are no streaming options available in Germany.
Buy/Rent: Germans can purchase or rent the movie on Apple TV and Amazon Video.
There are currently no streaming offers in the FR.
Stream: In France, the movie can be streamed on Canal+, Paramount Plus, Paramount+ Amazon Channel, and Paramount Plus Apple TV Channel.
Buy/Rent: For those looking to purchase or rent, Canal VOD is the platform of choice.
There are currently no streaming offers in the CA.
Stream: Currently, there are no streaming options available in Canada.
Buy/Rent: Canadians can purchase or rent the film on Apple TV, Google Play Movies, Microsoft Store, YouTube, and Amazon Video.
- Production Company: Jaffe-Lansing
- Filming Locations: Mendocino, California, USA; Petaluma, California, USA
- Budget: Estimated at $6-8 million
- Box Office Collection: Approximately $6.7 million
Awards & Nominations
While "Racing with the Moon" wasn't a major contender during the awards season, its heartfelt performances and authentic portrayal of the era garnered appreciation from critics and audiences alike.
The film's depiction of the challenges faced by young men on the brink of war, juxtaposed with the innocence of first love, made it a memorable piece of cinema from the 1980s.
Reviews & Reception
- Critical Reception: "Racing with the Moon" received generally positive reviews from critics. Roger Ebert, in his review, praised the film for its "wonderful moments" and the performances of Sean Penn and Elizabeth McGovern.
He noted that the film had a "special charm" that set it apart from other coming-of-age dramas. Other critics lauded the film's nostalgic portrayal of the 1940s and its nuanced exploration of young love and impending adulthood.
- Audience Reception: Audiences appreciated the film's genuine portrayal of the challenges of growing up during wartime. The chemistry between the lead actors, especially Penn and McGovern, was particularly noted. While the film didn't achieve blockbuster status, it has since gained a cult following, with many considering it a hidden gem from the 1980s.
- Box Office Performance: "Racing with the Moon" had a modest box office performance, grossing approximately $6.7 million. While it didn't break any records, the film's enduring appeal has ensured its place in the annals of classic American cinema.