"Step Up" is a dance romance film that captures the essence of following one's passion against all odds.
The story revolves around Tyler Gage, a rebellious young man from the wrong side of Baltimore's tracks, and Nora Clark, a privileged ballet dancer attending the prestigious Maryland School of the Arts.
When their worlds collide, they discover that they have more in common than they thought, leading to an electrifying fusion of dance styles and a romance that defies societal expectations.
- Release Date: August 11, 2006
- Duration: 104 minutes
- Rating: PG-13
- Country of Origin: United States
Cast & Crew
- Main Cast:
- Channing Tatum as Tyler Gage
- Jenna Dewan as Nora Clark
- Damaine Radcliff as Mac Carter
- De'Shawn Washington as Skinny Carter
- Supporting Cast:
- Rachel Griffiths as Director Gordon
- Josh Henderson as Brett Dolan
- Alyson Stoner as Camille
- Director: Anne Fletcher
- Producers: Jennifer Gibgot, Adam Shankman, and Patrick Wachsberger
- Writers: Duane Adler and Melissa Rosenberg
Where to Watch
United States (US)
There are currently no streaming offers in the US.
Stream: Available on Amazon Prime Video, fuboTV, MGM Plus Amazon Channel, MGM Plus Roku Premium Channel, and MGM Plus.
Buy/Rent: Options include Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Vudu, Microsoft Store, DIRECTV, and AMC on Demand.
There are currently no streaming offers in the AU.
Stream: The movie can be streamed on Stan.
Buy/Rent: Available on Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, Microsoft Store, YouTube, and Fetch TV.
United Kingdom (GB)
There are currently no streaming offers in the GB.
Stream: Available for streaming on Amazon Prime Video.
Buy/Rent: Options include Amazon Video, Apple TV, Google Play Movies, Sky Store, Microsoft Store, YouTube, and Rakuten TV.
There are currently no streaming offers in the DE.
Stream: Germans can stream the movie on Netflix, Paramount Plus, Netflix basic with Ads, Paramount+ Amazon Channel, and Paramount Plus Apple TV Channel.
Buy/Rent: Available on Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Sky Store, Rakuten TV, maxdome Store, Videobuster, MagentaTV, and Microsoft Store.
There are currently no streaming offers in the BR.
Stream: Available on Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Globoplay, KinoPop, and Netflix basic with Ads.
Buy/Rent: Options include Apple TV, Google Play Movies, Microsoft Store, and Amazon Video.
There are currently no streaming offers in the ES.
Stream: Spaniards can enjoy the movie on Movistar Plus and MGM Amazon Channel.
Buy/Rent: Available on Apple TV, Google Play Movies, and Amazon Video.
There are currently no streaming offers in the FR.
Stream: Currently, there are no streaming options available in France.
Buy/Rent: Options include Apple TV, Google Play Movies, Orange VOD, Microsoft Store, YouTube, Canal VOD, Bbox VOD, Rakuten TV, and Amazon Video.
There are currently no streaming offers in the CA.
Stream: Canadians can stream the movie on Disney Plus.
Buy/Rent: Available on Apple TV, Google Play Movies, Cineplex, Microsoft Store, YouTube, and Amazon Video.
- Production Company: Touchstone Pictures, Summit Entertainment
- Filming Locations: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
- Budget: $12 million
- Box Office Collection: $114.2 million
Awards & Nominations
"Step Up" was not only a commercial success but also received recognition in various award ceremonies. Some of the notable awards and nominations include:
- Teen Choice Awards (2006):
- Choice Movie: Dance Scene (Won)
- Choice Movie: Breakout Female - Jenna Dewan (Nominated)
- Choice Movie: Chemistry - Channing Tatum & Jenna Dewan (Nominated)
- MTV Movie + TV Awards (2007):
- Best Kiss - Channing Tatum & Jenna Dewan (Nominated)
Reviews & Reception
"Step Up" was met with mixed reviews from critics but was a hit among audiences, especially those who have a penchant for dance and romance.
- Critical Reception: Critics praised the film's dance sequences and the chemistry between the leads, Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan. However, some felt that the plot was formulaic and predictable. The film holds a 19% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 109 reviews, with an average rating of 4.2/10. The site's consensus reads, "This trite teen romance has too little plot and not enough dancing."
- Audience Reception: Despite the lukewarm critical reception, audiences embraced the film, leading to its commercial success. Fans of the movie appreciated the dynamic dance sequences, the palpable chemistry between the leads, and the film's uplifting message about pursuing one's passion. On IMDb, the film has a rating of 6.5/10 based on over 100,000 user reviews.
- Box Office Performance: With a modest budget of $12 million, "Step Up" exceeded expectations by grossing over $114.2 million worldwide. Its success at the box office led to the creation of a "Step Up" franchise, with multiple sequels following the original.