"The Getaway" is a 1994 action-crime film that delves into the tumultuous relationship between a career criminal and his wife as they embark on a high-stakes heist and subsequent escape. The film is a remake of the 1972 movie of the same name, which was based on the novel by Jim Thompson.
- Release Date: February 11, 1994
- Duration: 115 minutes
- Rating: R
- Country of Origin: United States
Cast & Crew
- Main Cast:
- Alec Baldwin as Doc McCoy
- Kim Basinger as Carol McCoy
- Michael Madsen as Rudy Travis
- James Woods as Jack Benyon
- Supporting Cast:
- David Morse as Jim Deer Jackson
- Jennifer Tilly as Fran Carvey
- Richard Farnsworth as Slim
- Director: Roger Donaldson
- Producers: David Foster and John Alan Simon
- Writers: Walter Hill and Amy Holden Jones (screenplay), Jim Thompson (novel)
Where to Watch
United States (US)
There are currently no streaming offers in the US.
Stream: Currently, there are no streaming options available in the US.
Buy/Rent: Movie enthusiasts in the US can purchase or rent the film on platforms such as Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Vudu, and Microsoft Store.
United Kingdom (GB)
There are currently no streaming offers in the GB.
Stream: In the UK, the movie is available for streaming on Amazon Prime Video and Icon Film Amazon Channel.
Buy/Rent: For those looking to buy or rent, options include Amazon Video, Apple TV, Google Play Movies, Sky Store, Microsoft Store, and YouTube.
There are currently no streaming offers in the DE.
Stream: In Germany, the movie can be streamed on Filmlegenden Amazon Channel.
Buy/Rent: For purchase or rent, Germans can choose from Apple TV, Amazon Video, Rakuten TV, maxdome Store, Google Play Movies, and YouTube.
There are currently no streaming offers in the ES.
Stream: In Spain, the movie is available for streaming on Amazon Prime Video.
Buy/Rent: Currently, there are no buying or renting options available in Spain.
There are currently no streaming offers in the FR.
Stream: Currently, there are no streaming options available in France.
Buy/Rent: For those in France, the movie is available for purchase or rent on platforms like Apple TV, Orange VOD, Universcine, Google Play Movies, YouTube, and Cinemas a la Demande.
There are currently no streaming offers in the CA.
Stream: Currently, there are no streaming options available in Canada.
Buy/Rent: Canadians can purchase or rent the movie on Apple TV, Google Play Movies, Microsoft Store, and YouTube.
- Production Company: Largo Entertainment, JVC Entertainment Networks
- Filming Locations: Primarily in Texas, USA, including locations like San Antonio, Galveston, and El Paso.
- Budget: Estimated $22 million
- Box Office Collection: Approximately $30 million worldwide
Awards & Nominations
While "The Getaway" was not a major contender during the awards season, its intense action sequences, compelling storyline, and the chemistry between Baldwin and Basinger garnered attention. The film did receive some nominations in various international film festivals, primarily for its action choreography and sound design.
Reviews & Reception
- Critical Reception: "The Getaway" received mixed reviews from critics. While some praised the film for its thrilling sequences and the performances of its lead actors, others felt it paled in comparison to the 1972 original.
Rotten Tomatoes, a review aggregation website, gave the film a score of 52% based on reviews from 31 critics, with the consensus reading, "While it can't escape comparisons to the 1972 original, this remake of The Getaway remains a tense, fast-paced thriller."
- Audience Reception: The audience had a more favorable view of the film, with many appreciating the on-screen pairing of real-life couple Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger.
Their palpable chemistry added depth to the characters' complex relationship, making the narrative more engaging. The film's action sequences, especially the car chases, were particularly well-received.
- Box Office Performance: "The Getaway" had a modest box office performance. On its opening weekend, it grossed around $5.8 million in the US and went on to collect approximately $30 million worldwide. While it didn't break any records, the film managed to recoup its budget and gain a following, especially among fans of action-packed heist movies.